Homecoming overcomes COVID changes

A new way to celebrate an old tradition.


PCM Homecoming came to a close last week on Sep. 25, after a blowout win over the Centerville Big Reds. This year Homecoming was celebrated in a slightly different way because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Riley Hjortshoj and Dylan Warrick were crowned king and queen of the court.
“It was a nice feeling when they put the crown on my head, since my brother had won a few years back and it’s nice to be able to win as he did,” said Warrick.
Due to COVID-19 this year’s Spirit Night was held on the football field instead of in the gym. “I think it is a great idea to always have it outside, it was more space for anyone who wanted to watch,” said community member Leslie Duinink.
Due to Spirit Night being outside this year the class skits were pre-recorded and played on the scoreboard video screen. The seniors won the class skits this year with a spin-off of the talent show theme from Revenge of the Nerds.
Despite a few changes this year some activities still remained as in years past. One of those activities was the powder puff games. Powder puff is a tradition at PCM, where all the girls in one class get together and play football against girls in different classes. This year in first round games the sophomores beat the seniors in overtime and the juniors beat the freshmen. The sophomores and juniors made it to the championship game where the juniors won 14-7.
This year a few dedicated community members got together and organized a breakfast that was open to all fall sport athletes at PCM. Parents of these student athletes donated the food while other community members prepared and served it. Some of them were at the legion as early as 4 a.m. to start serving all the food starting at 6 a.m. at the Legion in Monroe.
“The reason I did it this year is that my boys are seniors, and I got to thinking when I was in high school that someone always did it for us so I thought it would be a good idea to do it again as a send off and a thank you for the seniors and coaches. I also wanted to show the new superintendent that this is the community that we are, here at PCM,” said organizer Doug Duinink.
The PCM Mustangs got a big win over the Centerville Big Reds of 69-0, but that big win came at a cost. In the first quarter of the game on Friday, Aidan Anderson had to be carted off the field and rushed to hospital by ambulance. Anderson suffered a season-ending injury where he broke his tibia and fibula in the bottom of his leg. Watching Anderson be driven off the field in an ambulance took a toll on the entire team and PCM supporters.
At the end of the game PCM was winning by enough that the 2nd and 3rd string team got to go in for some varsity playing time. Come support the PCM Mustangs tomorrow night at the high school field against Albia at 7:30 for Senior Night.