Mustangs clobber Rams

by Gabe Steenhoek

The PCM Mustangs basketball teams hosted the Rams of Greene County on Tuesday, December 11. Both the PCM girls and boys teams completely dominated their opposition. Neither the boys or girls of Greene County could stop the explosive offenses of the Mustangs.

First up for the night was the girls game. The Mustangs came into the game very confident, their opponent had yet to win a game this year, and PCM did not want to break that streak. The Mustangs did not disappoint, racking up 39 points in the first half to lead the Rams 39 – 9. The second half was all the same with the Mustang defense shutting down Greene County while their offense piled on the points. The final score of this blowout was 53 – 25.

Offensively the Mustangs put up some impressive numbers. Senior Camryn Wignall led PCM with 15 points. Wignall also managed to snag five rebounds, six assists, and six steals. Junior Regan Freland had 13 points and sophomore Lilli Baird had 12. Sophomore Celeste Wagaman also had herself a nice night with a career-high of eight points. The Mustangs improved their record to 3 – 5.

The PCM boys jogged into the gym hoping to ride the momentum of the previous game. The Mustang offensive came right out of the gate firing on all cylinders. They led the Rams 43 – 21 at the half. The second half was a similar show to the first. The Rams never could get their offense going and the Mustangs couldn’t stop scoring. The final score was 83 – 41.

It’s hard to talk about this game without bringing up senior Reed Worth. Worth put up a career-high 30 points. Senior Andrew Van Ryswyk had himself an effective night of scoring. He went 7-9 from the field while also going 4-5 from the free throw line. Van Ryswyk totaled 20 points on the evening. Junior Derek Brown scored 11 points as well. The Mustangs improved to 4 – 2 with the win.