PCM Cheer performs at state

by Wes Cummings

When one thinks of sports, they often think of things like basketball, football, and wrestling, When one thinks of cheer, they think of a support system for those sports. Cheerleaders put countless hours into practicing, traveling and cheering, but on Saturday, Nov. 3 at the Iowa Cheerleading Coaches’ Association state championships, the PCM cheer squad more than proved that cheer competitiveness matches any other sport.

The Mustang girls traveled to the Jacobson Building at the State Fairgrounds in  Des Moines to show off their skills in the five-person stunt group and cheer dance. The energy was high, and the team felt well prepared.

“For state cheer this year, I felt really good going into it. We prepared a lot. Performing at state is always a rush especially this one since it was my last,” explained senior Elizabeth Bradbury.

The squad put in strenuous work, staying after school into the late hours.  

Bradbury explained, “To prepare, we would have two to three-hour practices on Mondays and Tuesdays for cheer dance and for our five-person stunt group we practiced for an hour on Mondays and Tuesdays starting in October.”

The team’s hard work definitely paid off, and the team secured a solid sixth-place finish for the five-person stunt group and a respectable seventh place for cheer dance. The Cheer squad is just another example of how PCM sports are at an all-time high.

“As a team, I am really proud of how we did,” said Bradbury. “We really  prepared and did the best each one of us could do”