Five perform solos at state dance in Newton

by Bess Telfer

On Nov. 3, five girls from the PCM Dance Team traveled to Newton High School to compete in the Iowa State Dance/Drill Team Association State Solo Competition. The five dancers were senior Allison Stafford, juniors Katie Henkenius, Maddy Ladehoff, and Lexi Kuecker and freshman Delaney Baird. Coaches Morgan Steenhoek and Mandy Shannon were there to help the girls get better and to raise their confidence as they were prepared for their performances.

Not only do these girls have to wake up at 6:00 am three to four times a week for team practice. They also have to put in extra time for their solo dance. The girls have practiced over and over again to try to make their routine as perfect as can be. They work on their technique, performance skills and how to draw the crowd in during their performance.IMG_4170

All five girls earned a Division 1 rating, the highest rating that can be received. Nerves were running non-stop for these girls as they had to perform during the day and wait until the very last solo to hear what they were awarded.
The upperclassmen already had experience, but it was Baird’s first time competing at a state level. Now with this competition under her belt, she can be more prepared for the ISDTA 2019 State Competition. The competition will be Nov. 29, and the whole dance team will compete their three routines, to try to earn first place in the state.

The PCM Dance Team will be taking their three routines: Novelty, Pom and Hip-hop to Norwalk on Nov. 17 to Rock Onto State to prepare themselves for state. The Dance Team will continue working hard to show that they have what it takes to win at the state level.