PCM Represents at Cardinal Relays

by Ayrton Breckenridge

On May the “fourth”, PCM brought the running “force” to Newton in the Cardinal Relays. Both the girls and boys brought skill and competitiveness to the table with a majority of the  surrounding schools also competing in Newton. The meet was originally scheduled for May 3, but inclimate weather with the possibility of tornadoes forced them to postpone it. The weather on the fourth was better for running. There was a high of 75 and a low of 50 with a slight breeze that gave both PCM teams a podium finish. The girls finished first with 170 points, Newton finished second with 160 and Lynnville-Sully got third with 113.5 points. The boys walked away third with 133 points. Roland-Story got first with 155 points and Newton second with 149.

The night started with a win in long jump by sophomore Alexis Kuecker with a jump of 16 feet, 1.5 inches and a win in high jump by freshman Celeste Wagaman with a jump of four feet, ten inches. In the first running event, the sprint medley, both the girls and boys finished first. Running for the girls were Kuecker, sophomore Sierra Foster, senior Ashley Miller and freshman Margo Chipps finishing with a time of 1:55.79. Running for the boys were junior Wes Cummings, freshmen Connor Bennett and Jacob VanWinkle and senior Blake Lee getting 1:41.06. The girls 4×800 team went on to win with a time of 10:39.85. Running for the girls were sophomores Sayde White, Hannah McCarthy, Klaire Jungling and junior Paytan Schut.unnamed-3.jpg

The girls continued the winning streak into the shuttle hurdle relay with a time of 1:10.35. Running the shuttle hurdle relay were Kuecker, junior Morgan Uhlenhopp, Chipps and junior Megan Cowman. Following the hurdle relay, was the 100 meter dash where Miller finished first with a time of 12.92. The distance medley followed, and the boys finished first with a time of 3:55.48. Running the distance medley was junior Brayton VanDyke, VanWinkle, Lee and freshman Beau Webb. The girls then got a win in the 4×200 meter relay with a time of 1:47.71. Running the relay were Foster, Schut, Chipps and Miller.

As the sun went down, lowering the temperature, thus raising the competition. The first sign of close competitiveness was with each other. In the 200-meter dash the girls finished first, second and third. In first was Foster with a time of 27.13, second was Kuecker with 28.34 and in third was Uhlenhopp with 28.40. In the 1600 meter run Webb finished first with 4:53.96.

In the 4×100, something different happened for the girls’ junior varsity. Coach Bridget Martin decided to put some distance girls in the 4×100 after some sprinters were unable to. The team consisted of one experienced sprinter: freshman Kara Wallace. Then the distance runners followed: White, Jungling and senior Baylee Smith. The team got eighth with a time of 58.25.unnamed 10.27.08 AM.png

“I thought it went very well for three out of the four of us being distance runners. We trained for a solid ten to fifteen minutes on hand offs, so that was a big time commitment for us. I have never ran a 100 before, so I felt like I was flying when I went down the home stretch,” Smith said.

The night concluded with a 4×400 meter relay win for the girls with a time of 4:24.39. Running the relay were H. McCarthy, sophomore Kate McCarthy, Miller and Schut. The next track meet for both the girls and boys is State. Both teams have runners qualified in a wide range of events. State is May 17-19.