PCM girls’ golf third in HOIC; Mitchell earns PR

by Kinsey Phipps

Early in the morning on May 2, the Mustang girls’ golf team headed to the Jefferson Community Golf Course for the 2018 Heart of Iowa Conference (HOIC) Tournament. The girls shot am 18-hole season low of 392, placing third. PCM was two strokes off of second place, Greene County, with 390. Taking home first was Gilbert with a score of 336. Senior Madeline Mitchell earned an 18-hole personal record, shooting an 85 and earning fourth place. Senior Sabrina Reed earned sixth place, shooting 89.

Head coach Tony Ford said, “The lower scores are from the team working at their skills both mentally and from a technical standpoint. They are starting to trust their routines and their abilities to recover from a bad shot or bad hole. We also have a number of golfers that put in time outside of practice and that will always help.”

Other scorers for PCM were junior Allison Wood and sophomore Brooke Dross, each shooting 109. Sophomores Gabrielle Van Baale and Alexis Dross scored 110 and 112, respectively.

With postseason quickly approaching, the girls have their minds focused on lowering scores and improving each week for a chance to golf in the State tournament.

“As the stage gets bigger, we need to continue to work on slowing ourselves down and trusting our golf routine before every shot. It’s easy to play faster and get down on yourself because you don’t want to let yourself or your team down,” Ford said. “I also would like to see our team continue to work on their short game and knock off two putts per round for each player.