Girls’ golf takes on first 18 holes

by Kinsey Phipps

On April 19, the PCM varsity girls’ golf team traveled to Oskaloosa to participate in their first 18-hole meet of the season. The girls came out in fifth place out of 11 teams, finishing with a score of 413. Washington took home first with a score of 322. Top finishers for the Mustangs were seniors Madeline Mitchell and Sabrina Reed, scoring 95 and 96, respectively.

“This was our first 18-hole meet for the team. The team adjusted well, and our team improved on their back nine. We had a couple of golfers play in their first 18-hole meet, and we all felt that our team responded well to the adversity we encountered during that five-hour span,” Head coach Tony Ford said.

Other scorers for PCM were sophomore Alexis Dross with 110, sophomore Brooke Dross with 112, junior Allison Wood with 119 and sophomore Gabrielle VanBaale with 119.

Ford said, “Goals going forward: We need to improve on our short game, and we know that as a team. The amount of putts needs to go down to improve our score. We are hitting the ball well, managing the course, but the weather hasn’t done us any favors in finding our touch with the short game.”

The next competition for the girls is this afternoon, April 26, at 1 p.m. They will hit the green at home at Gateway Recreation Golf Course in Monroe.

We will start to track our progress on putting, focus on lines, and our putting routines to help reduce strokes  when close to the hole,” Ford said. “Now that the weather is improving, we expect to spend a lot more time around the green.”