Girls’ Track Team Provides Stellar Performance for third place finish

by Nickolas Meinders

The PCM girls’ track team put together a very impressive performance at Guthrie Center’s track meet on April 12, including taking home first place in many different events and setting multiple personal records. The girls’ team placed first in seven different events that night. Overall, the girls settled for third in team standings with 147 points.

Freshman Margo Chipps said, “I feel like everyone came ready to run and showed up with great energy to cheer on their teammates.”

The energy was high for Chipps and her teammates after winning many different relays and individual races. Chipps placed first in the 400-meter hurdles with an impressive time of 79.49. Ashley Miller ran her way into first place in the open 100-meter dash with a time of 13.46. Sophomore Sierra Foster placed first in the 200-meter dash. These were not the only events the Mustangs dominated, they also took first place in the 4×100, 4×200, 4×400; and shuttle hurdle relay team. PCM also placed second in the 4×800 and the distance medley.

PCM kept battling all through the meet with team scores proving to be tight and placed third in multiple events. Senior Baylee Smith took home third in the 3000-meter run, junior Megan Cowman placed third in the 100-meter hurdles, and freshman Celeste Wagaman also placed third in the high jump with a jump of four foot, eight inches. The Mustangs came up just short of winning the meet by six points to Panorama with 153 points, and missed second place by five points to Adair-Casey Guthrie Center.

Chipps said, “I think we’re doing really good, but there is always room to improve.”

The girls’ next competition is tonight, April 19, at South Tama High School starting at 4:30 p.m.