Mustangs push through tough competition

by Ashley Miller

As the clouds parted for longer than five minutes and the sun shone down for thirty minutes for the first time in weeks, the PCM girls’ track team made their way down to Eddyville for the Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont Invitational on April 5. The Mustangs finished in third with 76 points behind North Polk and North Cedar, who finished first and second, respectively.

“It was nice to finally get some decent weather to compete in tonight,” head coach Bridget Martin said. “We also were able to compete against some great teams tonight which is always good when you are looking to improve your times and distances. As a team, we were able to place third in a pretty tough field. We continue to see times drop and distances improve which is always our goal.”

The Mustangs had only one first-place finish that night. The 4×100 team of sophomores Sierra Foster and Lexi Kuecker, freshman Margo Chipps and senior Ashley Miller crossed at 53.35. They beat out Van Buren-Keosauqua by one tenth of a second for the gold.

The distance medley team of freshman Emma Houser, sophomores Hannah McCarthy and Regan Freland and junior Paytan Schut finished in second with a season best time of 4:43.85. Schut would join Miller, sophomore Kate McCarthy and Foster for the second-place 4×400. They finished with a season best time of 4:16.97. Miller also placed second in the 100 meter dash with a time of 13.01 seconds, tying her personal record. Chipps placed second in the 400 meter hurdles with a personal best time of 73.90.

The shuttle hurdle team of junior Megan Cowman, Kuecker, sophomore Maybelle Smith and Chipps placed third with a time of 74.23. Cowman also finished third in the 100 meter hurdles with a time of 16.72. Foster had a personal record in the 400 meter dash crossing in fourth with a time of 63.62, almost an entire second off of her previous record.

“The girls continue to put forth great effort and work together as a team,” Martin said. “The support our girls are showing each other so far this season has been great to see. We have had some events turn in some great results for this point of the season considering the conditions we have experienced so far this year. I can’t wait to see what this team can do as the season progresses.”

The Mustangs will be heading to Guthrie Center for the Lady Charger Relays tonight, April 12. Field events begin at 5 p.m.