Mustangs too much for Tigerhawks

by Wes Cummings

The PCM boys’ basketball team hosted the Tigerhawks of Colfax-Mingo on Feb. 12. There was a lot at stake for both teams as this was the first round of district play. The two teams both had a winning record coming into the game, so everyone knew it was going to be competitive. The Mustangs ended out on top 59-49.

The first half was all PCM. The Mustangs came out on fire and outscored the Tigerhawks 16-7 in the first quarter. The second quarter was just as good for the Mustangs as they went into the locker room with a 32-15 lead. Junior Andrew Van Ryswyk was on fire with 19 points in the first half.

The second half was a different. The Tigerhawks flipped a switch, and they started balling. The Mustangs were overwhelmed and outscored 24-12 in the third quarter. With the score within five points, the Mustangs felt some urgency. They got the job done in the fourth quarter with the final score being 59-49 in favor of the Mustangs. Van Ryswyk ended the game with 21 points. Junior Reed Worth put up 14, and senior Elijah Sperfslage ended up with 10 points on the evening.

“It was a really fun game to be apart of. In the first half we were all feeling it, and we got out to a big lead,” junior Nick Dredge stated. “In the second half they came out with an edge and closed the gap, but in the fourth quarter we recovered and got the win. It was a really nice team effort.”