Trojans defeat Mustangs in regionals

by Dylan Sanders

On Feb. 10, the Mustang girls traveled to South Tama County in Tama to take on the Trojans in the first round of regionals. The Mustangs lost 45-34 to end their season. They finished with a 7-15 record on the season. The Mustangs have shown great growth and fight throughout the season for being a team with no senior leadership. The team will look to carry those traits on to next year with the Mustangs not losing any players to graduation.

Junior Camryn Wignall said, “ I think we will grow and improve a bunch next year. Regan was the only one this year with varsity experience, and now that we have all played together and had varsity time I think we will grow a lot more. I will look to go to every open gym every time it’s available to work on my ball handling and free throws in the offseason.”

The Mustangs were led by Wignall with 14 points and seven rebounds.

Freland had 11 points and eight assists. Other Mustangs that contributed in scoring were juniors Sloan Hjortshoj and Morgan Uhlenhopp with three and points. Sophomore Sierra Foster chipped in two points and five rebounds as well. Sophomore Regan Freland ended her season averaging a team high 19 points per game. Wignall and freshman Lilli Baird were the next highest scores for the Mustangs averaging 7 and 8 points.

Wignall said, “ I just hope to have a great season and get closer with my team. I hope that we become closer on and off the court next season, and hopefully we end the season with a trip to the Well.”

With the Mustangs getting back junior Avery Stock from an ACL injury along with a new class of freshmen, they are bound to improve.