Mustangs demolish Comets

By Wes Cummings

The PCM boys’ basketball team stole the show  Jan. 30 as they hosted conference rivals, North Polk. The Comets of North Polk came into the game with only four wins on the season, and they were looking for the upset. North Polk got the opening tip off but failed to score in their opening possession. The first quarter was tight with the score going back and forth between the teams. The Mustangs showed composure, and came out of the first quarter with a 17-16 lead. Going into the second quarter, head coach Fred Lorensen decided to put some of the second squad in. The second quarter was a big defensive showdown, but the Mustangs went into the locker room with a comfortable 27-23 lead. When the Boys’ came back to the court, everyone could tell the fire was lit. The Mustangs rallied and put up 46 points in the second half. The final score of the game was 73-43 in favor of PCM. Juniors Andrew Van Ryswyk and Reed Worth went big and scored 17 points on the night.

“We kind of started slow in the first half. Then the second guys came in and gave us a great second quarter, and the lead got extended. Then, we just came out in the second half and took it to them. It was a pretty fun game and a good win for the team”, Worth said.

The Mustangs’ record continues to improve as they head into the waning games of the season.  The future may hold a lot for the team, and Worth knows it, “We just have to keep playing our style of basketball. We just gotta keep doing what we have been doing and keep the intensity. We have to stay focused and take it one game at a time.”