Both Mustang teams take on Norsemen

by Sabrina Reed

The PCM Mustang girls’ and boys’ varsity basketball teams headed all the way to Roland-Story on Dec. 5 to play some basketball. The girls played first with the boys playing right after them.

The girls kept fighting until the end but lost their game with the score of 54-36. Sophomore Regan Freland helped give the Mustangs a push, scoring 18 points during the game. Juniors Camryn Wignall and Morgan Uhlenhopp each provided three assists for team members to score helping the Mustangs get some numbers up on the board. Freshman Emma George also led the team in the most rebounds for the game.

“I think we could’ve played a lot better than we did. We came out sluggish after a tough game against Pella Christian. We came back out after half time working our tails off and gave a large amount of effort,” Freland says. “We work hard everyday to get better, and we see our hard work pay off. That always makes it more enjoyable. Our team is a close-knit group of girls. I don’t think you could ever have a bad time on our team considering how awesome my teammates are. We have team dinners every night before home games, and we are always hanging out in the locker room before practice. As for our coaches, they are great mentors along with people. Everyday in practice the push us to be the best we can be, and they are always there for us whenever we needthem. We couldn’t do it without them.”

unnamed-10.jpg

The boys, however, took home a win against the Norsemen. The final score came out to be 51-42 in favor of the Mustangs. The Mustangs started out very strong takinga big lead in the the first quarter with a score of 18-7. Junior Andrew VanRyswyk dominated the court in making almost half of the Mustangs’ points for the night with 23 points. Senior Elijah Sperfslage had four assists for the night helping the boys score points.

unnamed-11.jpg

“We played good enough to win, but is was not our best game. Our defensive efforts from our second group of five guys kept us in the game by getting many stops on defense and scoring points,” junior Reed Worth says. “It’s always fun when we can start the season 3-0, but we still need to take it one game at a time. I have learned many of new things in my two years of being with them. They all know basketball and have plenty of experience with the game to get us where we want to go.”

Both teams’ next games will be home on Friday Dec. 15 against South Hamilton. Girls will play at 6 p.m. The boys will play after at 7:30 p.m.