Little students in need

by Logan Gilman

For many years, the Big Brothers Big Sisters program at PCM High School has been a vital part of many young children’s lives. As of late, the program at Monroe Elementary has been in need of mentors for the little students.
Big Brothers Big Sisters is the nation’s largest volunteer-supported mentoring network. The mission of Big Brothers Big Sisters is to provide children facing adversity with a one-on-one relationship that can change their lives for the better.
Program Director Lisa Green said, “Mentors always tell me they go into it to make a difference in a child’s life, and they never knew how much it would change their lives. Many tell me they think they get more out of it than the kids.”
Mentors and their little students usually spend about 30-45 minutes out of the school day playing games, doing homework, doing crafts or building a friendship. Mentoring in the school-based program takes 45 minutes a week, and it makes such a huge difference to a little who is struggling in school.
“You grow as a person. It is also very rewarding to see a child’s progress over a period of time and know that you had a hand in their development.” Green said. She then said, “To see that shy, quiet child open up and make friends, to see that child who maybe caused trouble in class or tried to hide so people wouldn’t know they don’t know how to read or add feel confident in their classwork and raising their hand to contribute, to see a child exposed to new interests and talents that otherwise would not have been tapped into. That is food for the soul.”
Junior Tyler Foster who is a mentor in the school based program said, “I have a blast. I think it’s truly inspiration to me to just help somebody in their everyday lives. I highly recommend being a mentor in Big Brothers Big Sisters.”
If you want to get involved with Big Brothers Big Sisters, talk to High School Guidance Counselor Casey McMurray for details.