Skeet Shooting progress report

by Dylan Sanders

The PCM school board met at the middle school on Oct. 16 to discuss different topics involving construction, clubs, and positions. One of those topics was the possibility of a skeet shooting team. Members of the community are pushing for the creation of a skeet shooting team to help benefit kids that really aren’t involved in many school activities. There is already a list of 37 PCM students ranging from freshman to seniors that are already interested in joining the team, and some of the kids who have shown interest in joining the team aren’t involved in many school activities. The skeet shooting team would help them stay focused and stay out of trouble. In future years the skeet shooting team will look to extend down to the middle school level once the team is established. However, the school board can’t vote on the subject until next month, so nothing is official yet.

“I think that every kid should learn how to handle and be around firearms. A lot of people look at them as just straight weapons, but they are much more,” junior Allison Wood, a hopeful member of the team, said. “The sport will teach athletes not to rely on teammates. When you mess up in trap shooting, it’s on you not a teammate. It will teach responsibility, maturity, and how to take ownership for your actions.”
If the motion to have a skeet shooting team is passed, then the team will hold practices at the Jasper County Gun Club located in Newton. The practices and tournaments will be held in the spring. There would never be any firearms on school grounds. The coaches of the team would transport the firearms to and from practice on a trailer. Members of the team will meet off school grounds to be taken to practice. The school board will meet on Monday, Nov. 20 at 7 p.m. to vote on the matter.