Career milestone point for Van Houweling

by Kesley Gilbert

On Jan. 20, senior Courtney Van Houweling stepped up to the basketball hoop. After a fast break of moving the ball up the court, she made a left-handed layup, scoring her 1,000th point of her basketball career against Roland-Story.
“It felt really good, but it was really scary at the same time,” Van Houweling commented on her career-changing point. “I was put into a shock, and it felt weird. I was extremely happy, but the game wasn’t the best, so that took away from how it felt.”
The PCM girls basketball team ran a tough game through the last two quarters against Roland-Story, losing 12-18 and 8-12, but PCM still remained on the top with a final store of 54-42 for the night.
Van Houweling has been playing basketball since second grade and for eight years on a team since fourth grade. Over the summer, she played on an AAU team with her friend senior Rachel Frelend. Van Houweling has been a four-year starter and a large part of the success for PCM girls’ basketball.
“It’s been such an accomplishment knowing that all of my many hours in the gym have paid off. I couldn’t have done it without all of my teammates: not only from this year but from the last four years,” Van Houweling said. “If someone would’ve told me I’d score 1,000 points my freshman year, I would’ve told them they were crazy. It feels great that I have scored 1,000 points. Only a few girls are able to do that and I feel honored!”
Van Houweling’s role model was Jayda Buckley, who now plays on the Iowa State basketball team. Even with the accomplishment of scoring 1,000 points, she keeps in mind that it was also the help of her teammates, family and her coaches that pushed her as far as she has gone.
“My AAU couch this summer, Justin Mortan, pushed me to be the best, and he is always there for me. He knows what I can do. I also scored my career-high points in a game against him and scored my 1,000th point against him, because he coaches for Roland-Story.”
Van Houweling will continue her basketball career, and she has verbally committed to Dordt College, but she has not signed with them yet.