Girls, boys back on track against Norsemen

by Logan Gilman

The PCM Mustang boys’ and girls’ were in action Jan. 20 for a varsity double header against the Roland-Story Norsemen at PCM High School. Both teams were coming off a difficult defeat against Pella on Jan. 17.
The first matchup between the two teams girls teams this season ended in a blowout with PCM winning 60-38. This time the contest wasn’t a lot closer, but the Mustangs pulled off a 54-42 victory.
Senior Courtney Van Houweling reached a milestone mark in her career as she reached 1,000 points. Van Houweling also led the team in scoring in the game with 16 points, while senior Rachel Freland chipped in 14. Sophomore duo Katie Vande Wall and Kayla Jennings led the team in rebounds with six each.
Head Coach Bret Grier said, “It was nice for our team to bounce back after our loss to Pella. We played a great first quarter and a nice overall first half. We just need to make sure we play that way for an entire 32 minutes.”
The boys’ game was big time matchup between two of the top teams in the conference. PCM had a chip on their shoulder coming into this matchup, as the Norsemen took a 69-60 victory away from the Mustangs. This time, fate was on the Mustangs’ side as they won 52-44.
Leading the Mustang boys in scoring was junior Logan Gilman with 18,  while senior Trey Lindsay added 10 and passed out six assists. Sophomore sensation Luke Greiner finished the game with nine points. In the rebounding category, the leaders were Gilman with 11 and Lindsay with four.
Senior Ricky Reeve said, “We came out in a different defense, the 1-3-1 zone, and also, Roland-Story didn’t come out in a box-in-one defense like they did last time, so we were able to run our stuff and it worked well.”