Mustang boys place third at Newton

by Brad McClellan

The Mustang boys’ track team traveled to a varsity meet in Newton looking for some competition on April 17. The boys placed third overall with 102 points and had many notable performances.

“We had some great performances on May 4. Chris Ellens really did a nice job in the 1600 and 3200 getting first in both. Noah Anderson set a new personal best in the 200 meter dash with a 22.71 and placed first as well. On top of that some of our relays did a great job rounding out the night specifically our 4×200 and 4×100. All in all, I was very happy with how our team performed and we came out and did great things across the board Thursday Night” said head coach Collin Harrison.

The boys seemed to be well matched this meet. Newton came in first with 150 points, 

Lynnville Sully was next with 105 points. Next was PCM with 102 points, fourth was Collins Maxwell Baxter with 89 points. Then came North Mahaska at fifth, scoring 52 points. sixth was Pleasantvillee with 38 points, then came Colfax Mingo scoring 34. Last was Southwest Warren getting 19 points.

“Newton’s Cardinal Relays is always a really fun and competitive meet. it includes team of all sizes and there are some teams there we don’t see all that often. In general, it is a great meet to get us ready for the last week of the season and the final push towards hopefully making the state tournament” said Harrison.

“We have a meet at Pella on Monday and that will be a “fine-tuning” type of meet. Our main goal now is just to be fresh for Thursday night at Districts. This means getting the runners legs loose and make sure we are not tired going in.  This will give us the best chance at district and we are looking forward to putting forth our best effort as a team on Thursday night to see if we can make it to the State Meet.” Said Harrison

See us in action tonight at Eddyville Blakesburg High School, as Assistant Coach Joel Grier said “The best is yet to come.”