Last year’s volunteer this year’s head wrestling coach

by Drew Johnson

Head coach Cory Waddell resigned from his position at the end of the 2016-17 wrestling season due to an overload of work at his other job. While coach Waddell was head coach, volunteer coach Jeff Nicholson ran every morning practice and did his part during after school practices in order to help the team reach their potential last season. 

unnamed-34
(L-R): Jeff Nicholson, Brian Nicholson, Brooke Nicholson and  Tonya Nicholson

For the upcoming 2017-18 wrestling season coach Nicholson will take over the head coach position.

“When I got the position I was excited and nervous at the same time. Being a head coach is something that I have always wanted to do but never really thought that I would have that opportunity. Now the that I have been named head coach there is a lot to organize and plan for. I truly believe that PCM wrestling has some great years coming soon,” said Nicholson.

Nicholson understands the value of a good coaching and how it can benefit wrestlers not only during their four years in high school but for their entire life.

“I am looking forward to impacting and watching our kids grow as not only as athletes but as people. The biggest influences in my life (outside of my parents) were my high school wrestling coaches,” said Nicholson.

Nicholson has big shoes to fill because last years team was conference dual team champions and conference tournament champions.

“We have a strong team and are doing many things well. My focus is going to be on putting our wrestlers in situations that we are struggling with and teaching them multiple techniques to score from these positions. Situational live wrestling will be part of our practice plan. One other point of focus will be the mental side of our sport (the difference between a good wrestler and a great wrestler),” he said.

Nicholson’s daughter Brooke is a graduating senior this year and his son Brian is in eighth grade currently. Brooke was a wrestling manager last year while Brian wrestled junior high.

“My son Brian is going to be a freshman, and I wanted his blessing before taking the job. He was very hesitant at first but came around as we talked through the big picture. I am going to try and just be dad with him as much as possible and let the other coaches instruct him. I have seen too many times relationships damaged when father and son enter into the coach/athlete role. I hope that I can maintain the proper balance between the two of us,” he said.

Managing his own business (P&P small engines), and being a wrestling coach will be no easy feat but Nicholson looks forward to it.

“This decision was made by our whole family. We are wrestling nuts.  Thank you Tonya, Brooke and Brian for all your support couldn’t do it with out you.”