Mustang boys show potential

by Brad McClellan

The Mustang boys’ track team had their first meet of the season on March 28 at East Marshall. The boys placed second overall with 109 points. Madrid took home first with 169.33 points. The boys had many top three finishes in both relays and open events.

Junior Noah Anderson’s 11.58 second 100 meter dash, which landed him third place. Junior Noah Henkenius ran 54.96 seconds in the 400 meter dash, placing second. Senior Chris Ellens crossed the finish line at 4:53 for the 1600, placing second, and ran a PR 10:16 in the 3200, placing third.

unnamed-7
Senior Chris Ellens runs a personal best in the 3200. /by Jacki Grier

Senior Leevi Telfer threw 42 feet, 4.5 inches in the shot put, landing him fourth place, and senior Noah Clark threw 133 feet, five inches in the discus, placing third.

The Mustangs did well in the relays as well. The 4×100 team of senior Luke Greiner, Anderson and sophomores Brayton VanDyke and Preston Van Wyk placed first with a time of 46.02. Sophomores Cole Dustin and Cade McCombs joined Clark and Telfer for the 4×100 weight person relay also won with a time of 51.81. Greiner, Van Wyk and Anderson joined sophomore Jarron Trausch for the first-placing 4×200. They crossed the finish line at 1:36.29. The sprint medley team of Greiner, Anderson, Henkenius and Van Wyk placed second with a time of 1:39.56. PCM also placed third in the shuttle hurdle relay. The team of sophomores Nick Buswell and Nick Dredge, Trausch and Dustin finished at 1:08.11.

unnamed-8.jpg
Sophomore Preston Van Wyk anchors the 4×100 to victory./by Jacki Grier

“We had strong competition from Madrid and Dike-New Hartford, but we were second. That’s pretty positive for the first meet,” assistant coach Joel Grier said.

You can see the boys in action tomorrow night at 4:30 p.m. at the Boys Varsity Relays at Collins Maxwell-Baxter at the Baxter complex fields.