Girls stumble at Pella Christian

by Logan Gilman

After a short 15 minute bus ride-the PCM High School girls’ basketball team stepped off the bus on Dec. 8 to take on rival Pella Christian on Dec. 8. It was a close matchup, but the home team prevailed with a 57-49 win.
The two teams came out even to start the game, but the Mustangs’ pressure defense didn’t seem to bother the Eagles. After one quarter the score was knotted up at 11. The second quarter turned out to be the difference in the game, as Pella Christian pulled away to take a 29-22 lead into the break.
The Mustangs rallied hard but couldn’t overcome the deficit, losing with a final score 57-49.
Senior Rachel Freland said, “Our intensity lacked from the time we stepped off of the bus. We rushed some shots and we didn’t get back on defense.”
Leading scorers for the night, as usual, were seniors Freland and Courtney Van Houweling, with 16 and 15 points, respectively, while sophomores Kayla Jennings and Rachel Stafford each chipped in seven. Jennings also corralled six rebounds on the night.
Freland said, “They kept beating us down the floor which really hurt us in the long run. We had some positives although, because we did keep a close ball game. We were down by 3 with 4 minutes to go but we never got over the hump. We did move the ball well and caused a lot of turnovers which helped us stay in the game.”