Hugh Jackman’s last hurrah as Wolverine in “Logan”

by Dylan Sanders

“Logan” is an action packed film that did not disappoint. Hugh Jackman stars as Logan/Wolverine, Patrick Stewart portrays Charles Xavier, and Dafne Keen plays Laura/X-23.  It had nearly everything anyone could want in a movie; from a father bonding with his daughter to some of the most thrilling fight scenes that a movie can create. If you want to see a movie that is beloved by both fans and critics (it posted a 94% score on Rotten Tomatoes), then go see Logan. “Logan” was produced by Fox studios, and it is a R-rated movie (for violence).url.jpg

Logan is a complex film that has many different story lines in it. The film mainly focuses on Logan having to cope with the fact that nearly everyone that he has cared about has been taken from him except for Charles. That is until Laura comes along. Laura is a nine year old girl who is constantly being chased by the company known as Essex, who she previously escaped from. Logan tries to care and provide for Charles which is something Charles can no longer do for himself because he has a brain disease. Laura eventually finds her way to Logan, and Logan agrees to take her to Canada where Essex can’t get to her after he finds out what she can do. Laura is Logan’s clone and Logan tries to avoid bonding with her at all cost, but as the movie progresses he starts to treat her more and more like his daughter. Logan is very old in the film, and does not regenerate the way he used to.

As the case with any Wolverine film, there is some gore in it. Violence and gore always seem to attract a good sized audience, and Wolverine is the superhero to watch if you are more keen to watching violent movies. Logan embodies this well, and the producers were really allowed to cut loose in honor of Hugh Jackman’s last portrayal of Wolverine. That is why the film has been rated R. Logan really embodies what kind of hero Wolverine is supposed to be, and that kind of hero is most definitely not for children. Logan is the best at what he does, and what he does isn’t very nice.

Logan takes place in the X-Men universe which is owned by Fox. The Marvel Cinematic universe is owned by Disney, and it is the universe where Avengers exist. That is the reason why Iron Man or Hulk couldn’t be there to help Wolverine out in the movie, and that is the reason why they probably won’t share the screen together for quite some time. If the Avengers had been able to intervene, then the movie would have been pretty pointless.

Hugh Jackman has been playing Wolverine since 2000 when the very first X-Men movie came out. He has had to stay in peak physical condition to play the part in an assortment of different movies for 17 years. With Hugh now approaching the age of 50 staying in that kind of shape is no longer an option, no matter how much money you make. That is why Logan will be the last movie that Hugh Jackman stars as Wolverine in. No other actor has put that many years(17) into one character through 8 different films. The thing that sets Hugh Jackman apart from the all the other actors who have portrayed the same character for an extensive period of time is that he stars in all of his movies. If he isn’t starring in the film, then he is just in the film for a quick cameo. If it weren’t for Hugh Jackman the X-Men franchise would have never taken off. Now Hugh is leaving his signature role as Wolverine by granting us his best performance and perhaps his best film ever in Logan.