First triangular of season brings mixed emotions

by Kinsey Phipps

Though the goal was met at the Dec. 2 wrestling meet in North Polk, the team’s expectations were
not. The Mustangs faced the North Polk Comets and the East Marshall Mustangs in their first meet of the 2014-15 season. The goal for the season is to win all of the meets they face against the Heart of Iowa Conference teams this season. PCM defeated the Comets in a 36-33 outcome, making PCM’s standings in the Heart of Iowa Conference 1-0. Though the boys prevailed and met their overall goal, the coaches, wrestlers and fans alike were all disappointed with the results of the second matchup against East Marshall, when they pulled out an enormous win, beating PCM 55-24 .
Senior Ron Marshall, wrestling 170, shined against the Comets when he pinned his opponent in 37 seconds. Senior Tristan Clark also did well when he pinned his opponent in 1:33 when wrestling at 126. The matchup came out in the end with two falls, two forfeits, one sudden victory and three decisions in PCM’s favor.
“I was pleased with some of the performances and notice we have some work to do in others. Tristan Clark led us with two pins. Trent Malone won an exciting overtime match while Chase Palm started off hot with a victory in the first meet,” Head Coach Cory Waddell said. “While Luke Kramer went 0-2 on the night, he helped us win the meet by only losing a regular decision against North Polk. Ron Marshall sealed the victory with a pin in the final match to push us ahead 36-33.”
Expectations were not fulfilled in the second meet against East Marshall; however, some wrestlers shined. Senior Jaret Maggard pinned his opposer in a mere 25 seconds. Clark ended the night for him on a good note when he pinned his adversary in 1:47. PCM’s points came from two forfeits and two falls.
The next dual for the boys will be tonight, Dec. 11, at Saydel High School.