First round win; second round bound

by Taylor Burns

Despite an almost scoreless fourth quarter, the Mustangs beat the Albia Blue Demons in the first round of regional play at home on Feb. 11 56-19. The halftime score was 27-8.

Senior Kayla Jennings led the team in points and assists with 21 and five, respectively. Freshman Regan Freland had the second highest points with 15. Senior Katie Vande Wall had 11 points and eight rebounds. Freland and Vande Wall led the team in steals with five. Senior Kaylee Townsend had four points and one block. Other scorers for the Mustangs were seniors Bailey Brodersen, Rachel Stafford and Abby Waddell with two each.

The girls’ goal has been to make it to the Well since the beginning as the season. Jennings said, “We will continue to work hard in practice, stay focused and taking it one game at a time. We continuously remind ourselves to do simple things better like making the easy pass, taking care of the ball and being aggressive, but smart, on both ends of the court.”

As of press time, the girls will play on Feb. 15 at home against Eddyville at 7 p.m. If they win against the Rockets, they will play Saturday, Feb. 18 at Bondurant-Farrar High School against the winner of the West Marshall and Chariton game. Tip-off is at 7 p.m.