Mustangs go cold in third; Panthers win 71-58

by Dylan Sanders

Knoxville was the first non-conference opponent for the Mustangs since Fairfield, a game the Mustangs won. Although the Mustangs kept it close throughout the game at Monroe on February 6, the Panthers prevailed 71-58. Junior Jackson Thomas led the Mustangs with 18 points and six rebounds. He also dished four assists.

Head Coach Fred Lorensen said, “Knoxville was a tough match-up for us because of their shooting ability and overall team quickness.  We had a hard time staying close enough to bother their shots while also keeping them from dribble penetration.  They shot poorly from the beyond the arc in the first half, but then came out on fire in the third quarter.” Knoxville scored 28 points in the third quarter, which was only three points behind their first half total of 31.

Freshman Derek Brown had one of his best games of the seasons scoring 16 points and grabbing eight rebounds. Lorensen said,” Derek has had a good over-all freshman season.  Going from eighth grade basketball to the varsity level is a very tough jump in competition.  While Derek has had some ups and downs this season, he is really starting to come into his own.  He has had some very good games and is starting to play with much more confidence.”

Other Mustangs who contributed to the score were Mark Bruxvoort with eight, Dayton Boell with four, Brayton Van Dyke with three, and Elijah Sperfslage, Jason Stafford, Noah Lanphier and Reed Worth all with two points.

The Mustangs are now 9-10 overall and 8-6 in conference play.