Boys Basketball chalk up first win

by Gunnar Davis

In a showdown between 2013-14’s top finishers in the Heart of Iowa Conference, last year’s second-placed PCM Mustangs boys’ basketball team took on the first-placed South Hamilton Hawks at home on Dec. 2. The Mustangs prevailed and beat the Hawks 61-52.
During the first quarter, the Mustangs had it going on both sides of the ball. Junior Logan Gilman was on fire making three threes in a row. He led the team to a 17-12 lead going into the second quarter. But the Hawks would storm back and tie the game 27-27 at the half.
In the third quarter, PCM went on a 13-2 run with big shots from senior Trey Lindsay and a clutch three-point play from senior Tyler Townsend. After the third quarter the Mustangs led by nine, 45-36. The Hawks put on a press in the fourth, but the Mustangs would maintain their lead.
“I thought we did pretty good,” Lindsay said. “We played defense well and rebounded well. We can work on getting the ball up better when they full court press.”
Gilman led with 18 points and eight rebounds. Lindsay was the stat-stuffer for the night with 13 points, six steals and five assists. Seniors Luke Pendroy and Ricky Reeve each had nine points.
“Pretty typical first game,” Head Coach Fred Lorensen said. “We did some good things but also made a lot of mistakes. I thought we shot the ball pretty well and actually played some pretty good defense. But we had way too many turnovers; most of them were just carelessness.”
Lorensen also mentioned that his boys need to keep their poise in the fourth quarter and just relax.
The Mustangs start off 1-0, and their next game, as of press time, is Friday, Dec. 12, at Baxter against CMB.