Mustangs destroy competition

by Darian Drake

After winning the conference championship last week, the Mustang wrestlers only wanted more. The grapplers traveled to Moravia on Jan. 24 for a quadrangular against Moravia, Central Decatur and Van Buren. The Mustangs came out on top in every dual with scores of 60-21, 62-18 and 66-9, respectively. With the smaller schools, however, there were a number of forfeits.

In the 66-9 win over Van Buren, the Mustangs had three falls, seven forfeits and two decisions in their favor. Starting the dual was freshman Jace Smith. He won with a fall in a time of 55 seconds. Sophomore Cody Wallace won by decision 4-2. Sophomores Wes Cummings and Lucas Roland both won by fall in 36 and 43 seconds respectively.

Next, the Mustangs took on Moravia. The Mustangs had seven falls, three forfeits and one decision in their favor. Registering falls for this dual were Freshman Payton Drake, Senior Xavier Miller, Cummings, Roland, Sophomore Jarron Trausch, Senior Clayton Welch and Smith.

Finally the grapplers wrestled Central Decatur. Wallace and Roland recorded falls in times of 1:09 and 1:02, respectively. Miller won by technical fall, 15-0. Cummings started his match against 5th ranked Kade Kelso, but was forced to leave the match early due to shoulder injury. Welch won by decision 7-5.

“I think overall as a team we wrestled very well. We need to work on some little things before next weekend, which can be done. To keep winning we need to trust in our ability and what we have been taught,” Welch said.