Wrestling at Pella quadrangular

by Brady Fagen

On Jan. 17, the Mustangs varsity wrestling team trotted their way up to Pella to face three other teams in a quadrangular meet. The three other teams were Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont, Ottumwa and the host, Pella.

PCM’s first dual was against EBF. The final score was 48-36. The Mustangs had to give up three forfeits due to sickness. Sophomore Dalton Schlangen, junior Caleb Peter, and junior Chase Shirk were the ones to be sick. The nights matches versus EBF were pretty even until rank 4 in 2A 160 sophomore Lucas Roland pinned his man in 38 seconds.

The Mustangs second dual was against the Dutch. Just like the dual between the ‘Stangs and EBF, these matches were pretty even. Half way through the dual the score was 24-14, Pella being up. After long, hard fought matches PCM came out with a close win 38-36.

PCM and Ottumwa faced off for the third dual. The Mustangs won it 42-33. A tough match came to Roland at 160 vs Ottumwa’s Joey Mitchell. At the Centerville tournament these two went into overtime, but Roland won by one point. Here Roland won 6-3 by the end of the third.

Four of PCM’s wrestlers went 3-0 on the night. Freshman Payton Drake, senior Xavier Miller, as well as sophomores Wes Cummigs and Roland were the ones to do so. The Mustangs next meet will be at home on Jan. 26 versus BGM, Colfax-Mingo, and Twin Cedars. Start time is 5:30 pm.