Mustangs claim victory over the Norsemen

by Dylan Sanders

Mustang boys basketball traveled to Story City to face the Norsemen on 13/1. The Mustangs led from start to finish, finishing the game with a 50-42 win over the Norsemen. Senior Mark Bruxvoort led the team with 12 points. Bruxvoort was a very efficient 5 of 7 from the field in the game.

Head coach Frank Lorensen said, “ I thought our kids did a good job of passing the ball around. Almost every game, we have a high percentage of baskets that are assisted.  We are unselfish, and we do a good job of looking for our teammates. We definitely won this game as a team.” The Mustangs had six different players who scored five points or more in the game.

Mark Quote….

Other Mustangs who contributed in scoring were Sophomore Andrew Van Ryswyk with 7, Jackson Thomas with 11, Derek Brown had 7, Elijah Sperfslage had 6, Dayton Boell had 2, and Reed With scored 5. Van Ryswk also had a team high 10 rebounds.

In a game on the road against a conference opponent its very hard to maintain a lead throughout the game, but that was exactly what the Mustangs did. A big reason for why they were able to do this was because of veteran leadership. Sorensen said, “ It always helps when you have juniors and seniors leading the way.  Our upperclassmen have done a good job of helping our younger players throughout the season.”