Eyes on the prize: Wrestlers hoping to takedown competition

by Kinsey Phipps

For the three seasons that Cory Waddell has been the head wrestling coach at PCM High School, the
goal has always been the same: Win the conference title and bring wrestlers to State. Last year, the team was half a point away from winning the conference title and taking first place from Greene County. This year, revenge is in the air.
The wrestling team has several leaders who stand out to the coaches and to all who watch and support the wrestling program. Senior Ron Marshall and sophomores Xavier Miller and Chase Palm are returning district qualifiers who all the wrestlers and fans recognize, as well as senior Tristan Clark, the only State qualifier from the 2013-14 season.
“The main team goal is to win a conference title. My personal goal is to win a state championship, since it’s my last year so why would I shoot for any less? I plan to succeed by working harder than I ever have before.” Clark said.
The boys are sweating more, working harder and pushing themselves that much more to succeed. Not only are the wrestlers doing more, the coaches are too. Everyone is hungry for the title of conference champions. Coaches, fans, managers and wrestlers alike are all anxious for the upcoming season to get on its way.
“Goals for this year are to win a conference title, qualify for regional duals,” Waddell said, “and bring home medals from the State tournament, not just qualifiers.”