FRCSHY returns to Rocky Mountain High

by Mia Burns

Next summer, July 22-26, the senior high youth of the First Reformed Church in Prairie City will be taking a trip with over 60 students to Rocky Mountain High at Estes Park, Colo. Youth group leaders Darrin and Ava Telfer, Christy Lindsay and Dillon Bruxvoort will be taking on the challenge with the members of the youth next summer.

Rocky Mountain High is a program held in Colo. every three years geared for youth groups and their leaders. The retreat is placed right in the middle of the Rocky Mountains at the YMCA of Estes Park.

“I think it will be a lot different [this year.] I feel like I will be more comfortable there as a senior because I am older. I am also looking forward to meeting new people and just having fun with my friends,” senior Mark Bruxvoort said.

The YMCA is full of dorm rooms, where the participants will be staying, lots of green space, many recreational activities and beautiful views. There will be many inspirational speakers including Stuart Hall, Ben Glenn, Joseph Sojourner and Urban Rescue.

“As leaders, we look forward to our youth experiencing God’s beautiful creation and spending some time in an environment where there are no pressures of school, sports, etc. They get the opportunity to spend a few days with other teenagers from around the Midwest and realize they are all equal and a unique creations in God’s eyes,” Darrin Telfer said. “It is an awesome experience for the youth members, as well as all of the adults that are lucky enough to experience it with them. It may be a small group, a breakout session, a main speaker, or musical act, such as Rend Collective, that may make a life changing impact on them.”

The goals for this trip are to not only make closer-knit relationships between students and peers, but also to strengthen their love for Jesus.

Anyone who would like to support the youth group with this big trip, they will have several fundraisers going on throughout the year.