Mustangs fall to rival Eagles

by Wes Cummings

The PCM girls’ basketball team geared up for one of their toughest games of the year as they went head-to-head with the 9th-ranked (2A) Eagles of Pella Christian at Pella on Monday, December 5. The first quarter was about as action-packed as it gets. The score was tied at 12 at the end of the first quarter, but during the next three quarters the Eagles took over the game and won 59-38.  

unnamed-9.jpg
Freshman Regan Freland goes up for a lay-up on Dec. 5 at Pella Christian.//by Taylor Burns

Freshman Regan Freland once again made herself known on the court. She put up 12 points, three steals and and one assist. Senior Katie Vande Wall added 10 points and 12 rebounds. Senior Kaylee Townsend grabbed five rebounds.

During the game the Mustangs suffered two terrible injuries. Sophomores Camryn Wignall and Avery Stock went down in the same quarter with knee injuries. It will be a while before they are back on the court.

“This was a good test for our first away game. We had an off night for our first road game, but now we know what we need to work on for our next road game,” said senior Kaylee Townsend. “My biggest expectation for this year’s team is to make it to State. We have the right talent to do it. We just have to work hard everyday in practice and give it our best.”

The girls’ basketball team will be back on the court on Tuesday, December 20. They will host the Cubs of Nevada.