Boys hammer Saydel

by Caleb Peter

Friday night was a successful night for the Mustang boys’ basketball team as they blew out conference foe Saydel 73-34 at home. Jackson Thomas led the Mustangs with in scoring with 16.

Starters for the ‘Stangs were senior Mark Bruxvoort, juniors Elijah Sperfslage, Noah Lanphier and Thomas, and sophomore Andrew Van Ryswyk.

unnamed-7.jpg
Sophomore Reed Worth dribbles the ball around an Eagle defender on Dec. 2 against Saydel./by Taylor Burns

“The game went great,” said Sperfslage. “We really moved the ball well and took some really good shots, and once we got the first basket, we never looked back.” Sperfslage scored 10 points for the team including two three-pointers.

Freshman Jason Stafford came off the bench and scored nine points for the team and freshman Derek Brown scored eight points. Senior Mark Bruxvoort and junior Dayton Boell both scored six points for the team.

Van Ryswyk scored five points and five fouls, which caused him to exit the game early. “I feel I was out of control. I don’t think I played very well in the game. I was struggling to get my shots going,” said Van Ryswyk.

“I think I played well,” said Sperfslage. “I have to give my teammates a ton of credit. They were getting open all night. I feel really confident that anyone can make a basket and that’s a great feeling to have being a point guard.”

After two early wins, the team is feeling optimistic about the season. “I believe we will do very well this year, being a competitor in this conference,” said Van Ryswyk.

After games at Pella Christian and CMB early this week, the boys’ team does not play this Friday night. Their next game is against Gilbert at home December 13.