Boys looking for successful season

by Gunnar Davis

After the second consecutive season of losing to rival Pella Christian in the second round of the playoffs last year, the PCM Mustangs boys’ basketball team is looking for redemption and a deeper run in the post-season tournament this upcoming season.
Last year, the Mustangs had a 17-5 overall record and placed second in the Heart of Iowa conference. This year, the team hopes to be even better.
Again, the Mustangs will look to rebuild as last year they had four starters that were seniors. The only returning starter for the team is junior Logan Gilman, who last year was also the only unanimous first-team All-Conference selection as a sophomore. Gilman averaged 19.5 points per game.
“We lost four of our starters last year, but that doesn’t mean we’re going to be down,” Gilman said. “That’s what we do at PCM. We reload. It should be a great year, and we’ve got great potential. Go ‘Stangs.”
Seniors Ricky Reeve and Trey Lindsay came off the bench and played a lot last year, so they will bring some experience to the table for the Mustangs. Many players are chomping at the bit to get some action this year at the varsity level.
Head Coach Fred Lorensen stressed to his players the team goal, which has always been the same. His goals for the team are to be the conference champions and for the team to be playing their best ball of the season by the time the post-season tournament comes.
You don’t want to miss the action, as the Mustangs’ season opener is Tuesday, Dec. 2, at home against South Hamilton, who was the conference champion last year.