State solos on point

State solos on point

by Kenzie Johnson

On Nov. 5, five members of the PCM Dance Team participated in State solos. It was held at Newton high school between the two gyms. Participants came from all schools in Iowa.

“I have danced at State solos for four years now. It definitely wasn’t as nerve-wracking as the first time,” senior Kelsie DeHaai said. “I was really calm, but I knew it was my last time and I wanted to do really well.”

PCM members included DeHaai, junior Karsin Jenkins, sophomore Allison Stafford, and freshmen Katie Henkenius and Madeline Ladehoff.

“I feel I left it all on the foor. I ended up one point away from top 12,” DeHaai said.

All girls received division one ratings. Dance isn’t done for DeHaai after her senior year.

“I am planning on continuing my dance career at an undecided college,” she said.

The drill team will make their way as team to Norwalk on Saturday, Nov. 19. There they will receive critiques to help them clean up their three State routines in preparations for the State Dance competition on Dec. 1 at Wells Fargo Arena. The drill team will be dancing in the categories of pom, hip hop and jazz.

DeHaai has some goals for the rest of the season, “I want to place first in pom at State, and I want to get everyone on the team to feel they accomplished everything and not regret anything.”