Choir, band impress at fall concert

by Tara Enlow

Friends and families of both band and choir members filed into PCM High School’s gym on Oct. 27, for the pair’s first show of the year. Choir Teacher Ms. Meredith Blankenheim and Band Director Mr. Ben Varner have been hard at work since August whipping both ensembles into shape for their debut, and neither teacher nor audience members were disappointed.
Clad in the traditional black and maroon robes, the choir set the night off by singing “Come to the Music,” which featured a solo by sophomore Rachel Stafford, “Why Does the Willow Weep,” “Fix You” by the popular British rock band Coldplay, and ended with a energetic jazz piece, “Can I Ride.” The choir performed their portion of the show so well, they received a compliment from the hard-to-please High School Principal, Mr. Scott Bridges, saying the choir has “never sounded better this early in the year.”
Earning a Division I rating at the State Band Competition earlier in the year, expectations for the Marching Mustangs were set high. The 60-member troupe exceeded all expectations with an exceptional performance of the songs “Clocks,” “Lost,” which featured a Color Guard solo from senior Ashlyn Breckenridge, and “Viva La Vida.” All pieces were also originally performed by Coldplay.
“Both the band and choir sounded great on Monday,” Varner said. “It is my hope that both ensembles can keep this energy and momentum into the concert season.”
With not only teachers and audience members impressed by they duo’s showing, but the principal as well,  this year’s fall concert can be marked as a success for both sections of the high school’s music department.
“I thought the fall concert went very well,” Blankenheim said. “Both the band and choir gave performances of which they can be proud.  Each ensemble has set the bar high early the year, and I hope we continue to exceed expectations.”