Mustangs “march” their way to a Division One

by Gunnar Davis

From the moment the PCM Marching Mustangs band members stepped into the band room on that
first day of summer band camp in August, they knew their goal. Ever since last year’s State performance at Pella High, where the band came up .2 points short of a Division One rating, the members and directors wanted a Division One.
This time around at Pella, Oct. 18, the Marching Band finally received the highest honor that they could achieve: a division one rating. Because the band members worked so hard during the summer and during the season, it made it that much sweeter.
“It was so awesome to finally get the Division One,” senior drum major Grace Telfer said. “We put lots of hours into this marching season and it shows. It means a lot to me that we could pull it off my senior year”
The band worked hard all year under the direction of Ben Varner, with help from Teresa Thompson and Meredith Blankenheim. This year’s show was the music of Coldplay; selections were “Clocks”, “Lost” and “Viva La Vida.”
Varner Said, “I think the season went exceptionally well.  We had great performances at five home football games, a pep rally, and four competitions this year.  I’m very proud of the time and effort the band has put into our show this year.”