After hot start, Mustangs fall

by Tyler Foster

Last Friday, on a very foggy evening, PCM traveled to Alleman to face the North Polk Comets in the final regular season game with the third seed for district play on the line. The winner of the game would become the three-seed going into the playoffs to play a two-seed, while the loser would become four-seed and have to play the one-seed. After scoring the first 17 points, the Mustangs only scored three more compared to the Comets’ 42. The Mustangs lost by a final of 42-20.
The fog became a huge factor; at one point during the game, each team could not see its opposing sideline. The play-by-play announcer had trouble seeing what was going on, as well as the fans.
Sophomore Ethan Thomas said, “We started off good — we just couldn’t get it rolling on offense. I’m not worried about it because we will get it figured out. We just have to focus in on Williamsburg.”
The first quarter was all Mustangs, scoring on its first three drives with runs from senior Ronnie Marshall and junior Logan Gilman. Also, junior Chase Wilkie had a huge night, going two-for-two for field goals. The first field goal was from 37 yards out, while the second was a record breaker, kicking a school record 48-yard field goal to bring the Mustangs within one, making it 21-20 at the half.
The second half, however, was all Comets. The fog kept creeping in, and the Mustangs could not respond after receiving numerous blows. The story of the game was that after a 17-0 first half for the Mustangs, the Comets outscored PCM 42-3 after that.
The 42-20 loss puts the Mustangs as the four-seed, and PCM will travel to Williamsburg on Wed. Oct. 29, Williamsburg the third-ranked, one-seed, will be a tough task for Greg Bonnett’s crew if they want to advance in the playoffs and make a run at the Uni-Dome.