Peter, Winegardner headed to State XC

by Taylor Burns

Senior Rachel Peter and freshman Blaise Winegardner had a very successful day on Oct. 23 at the
Central College cross country course in Pella. They will both head to the State cross country meet, which will take place Saturday, Nov. 1, in Fort Dodge. The top 10 runners go to State individually, along with the top three teams.
Peter led the team, running a 4K; she finished in fourth place out of 88 girls with a time of 16:20. Sophomore Rachel Stafford, who went to State last year, finished with a time of 17:43 in 18th place, with freshman Baylee Smith 10 places behind her in 28th with a time of 18:23. Junior Kiara Kappelmann finished with a time of 19:59 in 56th place. Not far behind her, junior Morgan Novak finished in 58th place with a time of 20:05. Junior Mallory Bell finished with a time of 20:41 in 68th place, and sophomore Bella George finished in 86th place with a time of 23:33.
“It seems like cross country has never ended the way I’ve wanted it to. It’s been so frustrating to come so close to making it to State but fall short,” Peter said. “To finally be making it my senior year is so exciting. I can’t wait to run and just leave it all on the course.”
The girls will not be going to State as a team this year. They finished as a team in seventh place,one point behind Collins-Maxwell-Baxter, with 160 points.
Freshman Blaise Winegardner will be running at State along with Peter. He ran his 5K in a time of 17:20 and finished in sixth place out of 98 boys. Sophomore Chris Ellens finished his race in 42nd place with a time of 19:31. Junior Trent Howard finished minutes behind Ellens with a time of 21:13 in 67th place. Sophomore Mark Bruxvoort finished in 89th place with a time of 22:38, and freshman Rory Van Gorp finished seconds behind him in 90th place with a time of 22:41. Just seconds behind him was junior Max Van Gorp, finishing with a time of 22:54 in 94th place. Sophomore Braden Phifer finished off the day for the Mustangs with a time of 23:05 in 96th place.
Come out and support Peter and Winegardner at State on Saturday, Nov. 1, in Fort Dodge. The girls’ 2A run at 1 p.m. and the 2A boys will run following them at 1:30 p.m.