Mustang success in Johnston

by Caleb Peter

On Sept. 8, the PCM Cross Country team went to Camp Dodge to run at the Johnston Invitational.

“The girls continue to show promise. We have now had three meets, and the girls’ team has had three different number one runners for us.” Head Coach Eric Karr said.

The girls placed third in the small team competition with three Mustangs on the medal stand. Freshman Klaire Jungling placed 15th with a 23:59. Sophomore Paytan Schut placed ninth and clocked a 23:32.

“I didn’t feel the best, but it was the start to a great season,” Schut said.

Sophomore Kirstin Ives placed eighth, running a time of 23:26. Ives and Schut both had season personal records this race. Senior Rachel Stafford ended her race with a time of 26:04, placing 23rd, and sophomore Megan Townley clocked a 26:42 in 26th place. Sophomore Morgan Uhlenhopp finished later at 26:57 in 28th place. Getting 31st place, freshman Breanna Vanderpool finished with a time of 28:38.

The boys’ placed seventh. Senior Chris Ellens won first place out of the small school competition, crossing the finish line at 17:36.

“The boys were led by Chris Ellens once again,” Karr said. “The only runners to beat him were from 4A schools.”

The next Mustang runner behind Ellens was unnamed-2.jpgfreshman Jason Stafford with a time of 20:09. About a minute behind Stafford, freshman Jacob Cox clocked a 21:29. Senior Mark Bruxvoort and junior Caleb Peter finished a close race together at 22:24 and 22:25, respectively. Freshmen Owen Hugen and Blake VanderKamp were not far behind them, both finishing their race at 22:50. “The varsity team had four freshman scoring points for us, so I am happy to see them working so hard to make the team better,” Karr said.

Be sure to come see the Mustangs run their only home meet at the Gateway Golf Course in Monroe on Sept. 22.“We are entering a new phase of training this week and will start incorporating more speed work.” Karr said. “We are also entering a three week stretch of some really tough and hilly courses, so we will need to make sure we are smart with our recovery”