Better times for cross country team

by Taylor Burns

After a successful meet at home, the PCM cross country team made the journey to Knoxville on Sept. 30 for the Knoxville Invitational.
Starting with the girls, senior Rachel Peter finished the race in 21st place with a time of 17:34. Sophomore Rachel Stafford completed the race with a time of 17:57 in 26th place, with freshman Baylee Smith right behind her in 28th place with a time of 18:06. Stafford and Smith both cut seconds off their times from the meet last week. Juniors Kiara Kappelmann and Morgan Novak both had their best times in three weeks,with times of 19:54 and 20:26, respectively. Junior Mallory Bell finished the day out with a time of 20:47.
The girls finished in sixth place out of 12 teams.
“We just want to get our endurance up, so we’re running the same pace the whole time,” Stafford said.
Sophomore Chris Ellens led the boys team with a time of 20:24. He finished in 36th place. Junior Trent Howard finished in 59th place with a time of 22:13, with freshman Brady North right behind him in 60th place, with a time of 22:18, his personal record. Freshman Rory Van Gorp finished the race with a time of 23:05, also his personal record. Sophomore Chase Keucker and freshman Caleb Peter finished right after each other in 71st and 72nd place with times of 23:54 and 24:10, respectively.
The boys finished in 10th place out of 11 teams.
Coach Eric Karr said, “Practice is really going to pick up this week and next to prepare us for Conference on the 13th.”