Mixed week for girls’ soccer

by Kenzie Johnson

On May 12, the PCM girls’ soccer team traveled to Chariton to play the Chargers. With the Mustangs struggling to score a goal, the Chargers were able to score in each half of the game, leaving the score 2-0.
The game on May 13 that was held at home was a totally different story. PCM and Chariton remained scoreless until the end of the second half. By the end, the Mustangs won the game 2-1.
To start off Friday’s game, the Mustangs scored first with a goal from junior Abby Waddell. This goal was her 16th of the year, which meant she had broken Krisha Houseman record of most goals in a season.
“Breaking the record feels amazing. It’s something I never thought would happen. I love the feeling of breaking the record, but what I love more is the support and love from my family and friends,” Waddel said. “They all pushed me to accomplish this goal, and they were all beyond happy to see it happen. The feeling I have is just incredible.”
Shortly after that goal was made, Knoxville was able to put one in, which tied the game leading into overtime.
To carry out for the Mustangs was Colfax-Mingo senior McKinzie Tjaden, with the final goal of the game to bring the PCM soccer girls on top.
Waddell also said, “My goal for next year is too become better. I want to become better at my ball skills, passing, and communication. Doing that will put me in the position to be able to play college soccer if that’s what I decide to do. It would be great to break my own record, but I want to focus on other things to make me a better soccer player.”
Catch the girls at their next game on Friday, May 20, at North Polk, with varsity at 5:30 p.m. and JV at 7 p.m.
Waddell has plans for the rest of the season, as well, “My plans for the rest of the season is to do my best with the hard teams we have coming up, and try to make it passed the first round of regionals.”