Marshall shines as Mustangs ruin homecoming

by Tyler Foster

Last Friday, Oct. 3, on a cool, breezy night with temperatures reaching close to 32 degrees and a few
flurries in the air, it was a cold night for football. PCM looked to get back to .500, and West Marshall’s homecoming game stood in their way. Coming off a tough loss to CMB, a win was needed. The West Marshall Trojans have beaten the Mustangs each of the last three years, but the Mustangs put an end to that streak, winning 44-20 in a beating with the help of senior Ron Marshall’s six touchdowns, breaking a school record.
The Mustangs yet again got off to a slow start, fumbling on each of their first two possessions, resulting in Trojan touchdowns and putting the Mustangs behind 14-0 to start off the first quarter. PCM rebounded, however. With a nine-yard run from Marshall and a two-point conversion, the game was back to one possession. On the next possession, the Trojans answered back, making the game 20-8, West Marshall.
A forced punt and a fumble would summarize the next two drives for the Trojans, while the Mustangs again turned to Marshall for two more scores before the half. Scoring on a 25-yard delayed handoff and a three-yard scamper up the middle gave PCM a 21-20 halftime lead.
Coming out of the half, it was all Mustangs. West Marshall struggled to get the ball moving at all, and PCM took advantage, not allowing a single point in the half. As the game went on, the Mustangs kept feeding Marshall. Marshall would run for three more scores, and the Trojans had no answer. Marshall finished the game tallying a total of 265 yards on 36 carries along with the record-breaking six touchdowns guiding the Mustangs to a 44-20 non-district win.
Marshall commented on how he felt about his record-breaking game, “It feels great to achieve this record. It has always been a goal of mine and I know I couldn’t have done it without the help from my offensive line and wide receivers blocking for me.”
The Mustangs will be in action tomorrow as it will be there homecoming game against Clarke.