Boys’ soccer ends with even week

Boys soccer ends with even week

by Ryan Kohlhof

PCM’s soccer boys had games last Thursday, April 21, and Friday, April 22, earning them both a win and a loss.
The first game on Thursday was at home against Chariton. It was the Mustang boys’ first loss at home, with the score being 3-1. Colfax sophomore Misha Seebeck had the Mustangs’ only goal, unless you count the accidental own goal scored late in the game by a PCM defender.
Friday’s game was the exact opposite. The Mustangs traveled to Maxwell to play CMB and won their first away game 3-1. Lynnville-Sully junior Zac VanWaardhuizen scored one of the Mustangs’ goals early on, as well as PCM sophomore Chase Sanders, who scored two goals himself.
When asked about the difference between this year’s team and last year’s, Head Coach Darrin Telfer said, “We played a lot of guys last year and got lots of experience. I think it has paid off and we are playing better together and possessing the ball better, so we’re not always on the defense. We have also settled in with a veteran defense, and that will keep us in and competing in all games.”
The boys’ next game will be tomorrow, Friday, April 29, at home versus Grinnell, with JV starting first at 5:30 p.m. and varsity starting around 7 p.m.