Record broken; Mustangs swing to top

by Kinsey Phipps

Junior Breanna Maher has shown her skill over and over again by breaking her own school golf records. She did it yet again on April 18 at the chilly 18-hole Bondurant-Farrar invitational. Along with breaking a record, the Mustangs won the meet with a score of 404, followed by Dallas Center-Grimes with 430.
Varsity Girls’ Golf Head Coach Val Edwards said, “I am really proud of these girls, as the weather did not turn out to be very nice, and they played in a chilly drizzle most of the meet.”
Maher won the meet, carding an 80. Maher’s previous 18-hole school record was 85.
“It was pretty satisfying [to beat my record]. You find out that hard work pays off, and if you really work hard enough, it will happen,” Maher said.
Following Maher was sophomore Madeline Mitchell, shooting a 97. Mitchell got third place overall. Junior Courtney Bridges shot a 111 and was tenth. Fifteenth place was awarded to sophomore Ellie Steenhoek, carding a 116. Rounding out their scores was sophomore Sabrina Reed who shot a 120 and senior Abby Van Haaften with 127.
Maher isn’t stopping there. She still has multiple individual goals for the rest of the season.
“My goal is to place in the top three at every tournament, win conference and go to State. I am going to spend many hours on the golf course and the driving range. Also, the chipping and putting green as short game is the crucial part of playing well.”
Make sure you continue to watch Maher and the swingin’ ‘Stangs for the rest of the 2016 golf season.