Soccer boys win. Sportsmanship denied

Soccer boys win. Sportsmanship denied

by Ryan Kohlhof

The Mustangs’ field last Friday, April 8, was absolutely electric. PCM’s soccer boys managed to pull themselves out of their year-and-three-games losing streak after beating West Central Valley 3-2 at home.
All goals were scored during the first half. Senior Ryan Kohlhof put the first one in shortly after a corner kick was made. The other two goals from the Mustangs were scored by sophomore Misha Seebeck. The second half was an equal battle between both teams, with the ball constantly traveling back and forth from goal to goal without being scored.
“I’m happy with the effort and team concept everyone is showing,” Head Coach Darrin Telfer said. “I am confident we will continue to improve and win more games.”
If this was a normal game, it would have ended there, but that Friday was far from over, and boundaries were soon crossed. Tempers escalated during the whole game, with even a red card being pulled out on a kid for being to violent on the field, who was then ejected from the rest of this game and his next game. Usually when a game ends, a traditional sportsmanship walkthrough of handshakes and spouts of “good game” or “good job” occurs. However, a grudge was held by number 7 of West Central Valley’s team. He decided to throw a punch instead of a handshake, gut-shotting PCM senior Max Van Gorp. This caused an uproar between both teams, and the referees struggled to bring back a peace that never existed in the first place. Eventually the teams were separated, but tensions remained high the rest of the night.
The JV game was still played, although just one half, and West Central Valley won 1-0. The boys’ next games are tonight, Thursday, April 14, at Nevada with varsity at 5:30 p.m. followed by JV, and Friday, April 15, versus. Centerville at home. The girls will start that night off at 5:30 p.m., followed by the boys at 7 p.m.