Mustang boys run into new season

by Logan Gilman

The first meet of the season for the Mustang boys’ track team was March 29 at East Marshall. The squad claimed two second-place finishes and four-third place finishes. With all of these scores, the team left the meet holding on to a fifth-place finish overall.
Two sophomores made their impact on the night with second-place finishes. Noah Anderson claimed silver in the 400-meter dash with a time of 55.20. Noah Henkenius crossed the line in second place in the 800 with an impressive time of 2:16. The relay teams were successful in their first meet, as the 4×100 and 4×200 teams both took third. The 4×100, comprised of junior Luke Greiner, senior Davis Herndon, Anderson and senior Tyler Dredge, finished the race with a time of 47.10. The 4×200 squad, made up of freshman Brayton Van Dyke, sophomore Brady North, Greiner and Dredge, crossed the finish line in 1:40.89.
Henkenius said about his second place performance, “It felt nice. It felt good. I put the work in and got it done.”
The big men on the team also had a good night throwing. Senior Gunnar Davis placed third in shot put with a toss of 43-09. Junior Noah Clark launched the discus at a distance of 134-08 to take home bronze.
Greiner said about the 4×100’s third place finish, “We did alright. Our hand offs are definitely a thing we need to work on for sure. We need to get a lot faster because speed wins races.”