Mustangs kick off season at Central

by Ashley Miller

The Lady Mustangs competed in their first meet of the season on Friday, March 11, at Central College’s indoor track in Pella. The meet didn’t keep track of team scores, so there was no official winner of the meet itself. They did keep track of who won the events, and the PCM girls finished in the top eight for seven of the events.
“We had a great first meet of the season at Central. As a team, we had the chance to face some bigger schools, which was great competition early in the season,” Head Coach Lindsey Cunningham said. “The girls took care of the little things all night long, and our handoffs looked good.”
The highest placing varsity event of the night was the 4×400 with a time of 4:37, landing them second place. The team was made up of seniors Ashley Van Gorp and Emily Hugen, junior Jayci Vos and freshman Morgan Uhlenhopp. Two events received fourth. The 4×200 team of Vos, Hugen, Van Gorp and junior Tatum Nearmyer ran a time of 1:57, and Van Gorp also landed fourth place with a distance of 14-7 in the long jump.
The other events finishing in the top eight were the California mile, the distance medley, the 4×800 and the shuttle relay.
“Overall, all the girls worked very hard, and we had a good first showing with some impressive times to build off of,” Cunningham said. “As coaches, we are looking forward to the rest of the season.”
The Mustangs ran at ISU on March 14 and will be competing on Tuesday, March 29, at the Centerville triangular at Centerville.