Mustangs lose heartbreaker at home

by Logan Gilman

With the chance to move onto the Substate game on the line the PCM girls’ basketball team laced up their shoes to take on the Chariton Chargers, at home on, Feb. 17. After a back-and-forth game that saw both teams gain and lose momentum, the Chargers came out on top with a final score of 50-40.
After some sloppy play in the first quarter, it was Chariton who had the early lead at 10-6. The next eight minutes was just as low scoring, but the Mustangs did gain some ground on the charging Chargers and came within one point to make the score 16-15 at the break. The third quarter was a roller coaster in which both teams saw themselves take the lead and lose it. Thanks to some lucky breaks, like a three-point shot hitting the top of the backboard and bouncing in, Chariton took a six-point advantage into the final frame, at 34-28. PCM knew that they had to bounce back to keep their season alive and with 3:08 left in the game the Mustangs were down 38-37. But the Chargers were able to regain the momentum and pull away in the final minutes to secure the 10-point victory.
A balanced scoring attack for the Mustangs saw Junior Kayla Jennings, again, leading the way for PCM with 12 points, junior Katie Vande Wall had eight, junior Jayci Vos had seven, and junior Rachel Stafford added 6. Chariton got a major contribution off their bench from junior Carlie Schaeffer, who led all scorers with 13 points.
The Mustangs finished their season with a final record of 13-10, while reaching the district semi-final and taking fourth place in the Heart of Iowa Conference.