Defeat: PCM falls to Madrid

Defeat: PCM falls to Madrid

by Tyler Foster

District basketball has started in the state of Iowa for varsity teams, and for PCM, it was a second-round matchup with the Madrid Tigers. In a win-or-go-home game, the Mustangs faltered, as Madrid caught fire in the fourth quarter, draining five 3-pointers, leading them to a 69-60 victory.
Senior Logan Gilman played what would be his last game as a Mustang and kept PCM within striking distance come the second half. Gilman scored a career-high 31 points, and with under two minutes, demanded the ball with the Mustangs down by double digits. PCM pulled the game within five and a possession pending with just over a minute to go, but a blocked shot and Tiger rebound sealed the deal. For the Mustangs, juniors Noah Clark and Luke Greiner followed Gilman with 10 and eight points, respectively.
Madrid 6 feet 7 inches senior Luke Hudnutt led the Tigers with an impressive stat line of 23 points, 16 rebounds, six assists and four blocks.
After a 13-9 season, the Mustangs certainly had their own share of ups and downs. Yet, they will look for a head start on next year, as they say goodbye to four seniors: Gilman, Austin Brown, Tyler Foster and Josh Rexroat. PCM will return juniors Greiner, Clark, Mark Bruxvoort, Sheldon Speers and Ethan Thomas, along with fellow underclassmen Jackson Thomas, Elijah Sperfslage and Andrew Van Ryswyk.
Gilman said, “We competed hard all year long. We also did a good job battling back throughout adversity throughout the year. I’m really proud of how the team handled themselves. “